Free Credit Analysis

Credit Repair & Financial Advice Blog

Credit Repair & Financial Advice Blog

, ,

How to Report FCRA Violations on Your Credit Report

Reporting FCRA Violations

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) was passed to assure the privacy, accuracy, and best use of each American’s credit information. Specifically, Credit Reporting Agencies (CRA), collectors, and lenders are cautioned against misusing or misreporting consumer information. 

If any of your rights are violated, per the act, you have legal recourse to report the party behind the violation. Basically, the act ensures that your financial standing is not violated when getting your credit score, personal loans, credit extensions, mortgages, and the like.

Below is a brief look at how to report FCRA violations and your rights as outlined by the FCRA.

How to Report FCRA Violations On Your Credit Report

Reporting FCRA ViolationsAny person or institution that violates the act can be penalized. Further, damages are awarded depending on the monetary loss suffered, following a determination by a state or federal court.

However, to bring the violator up on charges, you first need to know which of your rights have been breached. 

Know Your FCRA Rights

If you have reason to suspect that your credit report has been used erroneously to deny you credit, a job, or a service, you have a right to dispute the decision.

For example, if a lender refuses you a loan, they should inform you of what led to the decision. If it turns out your credit report is damaging, ask which CRA supplied the report and request them to send you the report.

Study the report to find errors such as identity theft, the inclusion of closed accounts, duplication of debt accounts, and reinsertion of errors that were previously corrected.

Other common credit report errors include incorrect account balances, wrong credit limits, and incorrect dates of opening and closing credit accounts.

Dispute the Errors

To get your correct credit rating, the errors in your report need to be removed. Luckily, the FCRA entrenches your right to dispute mistakes in your credit report at no charge.

There are two parties that can be the recipient of your dispute letter:

  • The bureau that issued your report.
  • The information furnisher.

Start by getting in touch with the specific or all three of the major CRAs (TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax). 

Send a letter to inform the agency about the mistake and attach copies of official documents that support your claim.

Go further to explain why you are disputing your report and include the erroneous report, with the mistakes clearly highlighted. 

Note, apart from sending a letter via certified mail, you can also log the complaint online or via email. Most importantly, keep copies of all documents that you use in the dispute as well as reference numbers if you log the claim online.

Next, contact the information furnisher who supplied the erroneous information. The furnisher can be your landlord, bank, mortgage lender, credit issuer, or former employer.

Just like in the case of the CRA, send them a letter with enough details to identify you. Additionally, the letter should include your credit report plus the dispute’s information, supporting documents, and an outline of your expectations.

The CRA or the furnisher is required to investigate your allegation in a timely manner and take steps to correct the errors. 

Normally, unless your claim is deemed frivolous, the furnisher notifies the CRA to update your report with the correct information. Similarly, if the investigation was done by the CRA, the company ensures that your credit report is corrected.

Report to the CFPB and/or the FTC

If none of the above leads to a resolution you have the option of lodging a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or the Federal Trade Commission.

These are the main government agencies tasked with enforcing the FCRA. Depending on the nature of your complaint, the agency can investigate or request other government agencies, such as the police, to take over the issue.

Typically, you should expect a conclusive resolution, including punitive damages against any party that willingly violated the FCRA or knowingly refused to correct any mistakes.

Bring a Lawsuit

Lastly, you can file a lawsuit in your state or at the federal level through your attorney. The lawsuit can target the CRA or information furnisher.

The defendant in such cases may be liable for actual or statutory damages. Further, the court can award punitive damages and order the complainant to cover your attorney’s fees.

The Takeaway

While CRAs and all parties that provide information that goes into your credit report are required to comply with the FCRA, that is not always the case. 

As such, it helps to regularly scrutinize your credit report for mistakes that can adversely affect your credit rating. 

In addition, take steps to correct any errors by disputing with the relevant party and involving your attorney if you feel violated.

icon Credit Tools
Credit Tools
icon Pricing
icon Reviews
icon Call Us
Call Us
🎁 Free Credit Analysis
Start Now

Complimentary Credit Analysis

Request a Credit Analysis & Receive our Free E-Book

Please select the services you'd like to discuss for your Analysis? (Check all that apply)